Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Giuliani in 2008

After reading my post below, a few people mentioned that they don’t think Giuliani could run for President because he is too moderate, read pro-choice. The religious right would never go for it and they are the reason George got to stay in office.

Overall, I think my readers are right but I offer two counter points because, well, I have a problem admitting I’m wrong.

First is a column by E. J. Dionne, Moderates, Not Moralists. I like E. J., he's a pretty smart guy (that's why he has a column and I have a blog), so you should take a look.

He argues that it was the moderates that won Bush the election. If Bush can sway moderate voters, just think of the damage Giuliani could do. He was a two-term Republican mayor of New York City. He might not need the religious right to win the election.

Second, Bush really, really, really, needed every constituency he had to come out and vote for him. Sadly, the little bastards did.

If Bush manages not to do anything worse than he already has, if things get even marginally better, a new Republican candidate could have a pretty good chance of winning in 2008.

If Bush manages not to screw the pooch this time out, I think a moderate candidate like Giuliani, who has an incredible national profile and could grab a lot of those moderate swingers, wouldn’t need the religious right as much.

I’m not saying a Giuliani run is going to happen, just that I can conceive of a situation where it is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home